Tustan State Historical and Cultural Reserve was established on October 5th, 1994.
The Reserve operations include:
- active research, scientific and educational activities;
- protection and preservation of cultural heritage sites – the cliff-side defense complex of the Tustan fortress;
- cultural and educational projects and promotion of cultural heritage;
- work with visitors;
- site improvements and care;
- cooperation with local population and entrepreneurs and control over compliance with the norms of their activities in protected areas;
- providing recommendations for building and reconstruction of territories and facilities in protected areas;
- restoration works;
- creation of the historical and cultural recreational environment of the Ukrainian Carpathians, development of tourism at both national and international levels.
The Reserve includes:
- the central part of the ancient Ukrainian fortress Tustan defense facility: the complex of cliffs including Kamin, Ostry Kamin, Mala Skelya, Zholob and cliffs adjacent to the Voron ridge;
- area adjacent to these cliffs with cultural layers from ancient times to the Middle Ages;
- defense system (multi-row ditches and shafts) of the Tustan cliff-side complex;
- hydraulic structure (dam) in the Stavy tract;
- lands where natural monuments are located.